Sunday, February 21, 2010

NES Programming - Day 1 - Complete


Whoa!! So I worked on my earlier proposal today...

Here is the current output, my take on hello world is in this case 'Hello Mega Man'

I have the directional pad able to move a sprite around but for some reason if I try to move it with more than one on the screen the one I'm trying to move won't. I'll hopefully figure it out tomorrow.

I'm pretty happy with the outcome as I've basically never done assembly and this is an excessively niche market ;)

3 comments:

Chykn said...

Congrats - the NES is not a very fun platform to develop for. Do you have any experience writing client/server apps in C or Perl? If so, I have a project that might interest you. To give you a hint, I finally finished an adapter to let the NES communicate with an RS232 device. http://nesdev.chykn.com Use your imagination from there.

Unknown said...

Any chance on getting the source code and / or a list of resources?

Timwillhack said...

hey guys, I have gotten a lot more done and I'll post an update probably over the weekend.

I have a bit of C experience (wrote a game in C on the PSP - Hexaxis) but no Perl. I've been doing some python lately on google app engine though.

I do not intend on releasing all my code for this very specific project, but rather a set of tutorials for writing NES games after I get through everything myself.