Saturday, February 20, 2010

NES Programming - Day 1

So I've decided I'm going to start work on writing a NES Emulator. I've always loved the system and I've always loved programming. I know its going to be a very very bumpy road. I have next to no experience with ASM (Assembly), but I think this would be the most treasure filled way to learn. I think my first steps will be in writing at least a hello world as a ROM for an existing NES emulator. This will hopefully help me to understand how and where data is stored and utilized. There is an assembler for NES called NESASM.exe.

Overall Arc for Phase 1:

  1. Write a game for the NES

    • Text(Hello World)
    • Movable Sprite with directional keys
    • Animation change on A press
    • Sound Beeps

  2. Write a basic interpreter for a ROM

    • Load a Mario 1 Sprite and show it on the screen

  3. Improve it by booting to a main menu in a game (no sound)

    • Not sure which game yet, maybe I should focus on Mario 1



Babysteps #1:
  1. Output Hello World in top left of the screen. Have Nesticle open and run it.

1 comment:

Timwillhack said...

Blogspot doesn't format posts the same as the editor (how annoying) will fix later to be proper